last reviewed and updated on 16.04.2023
Align&SHINE values and respects the privacy of the people we deal with. Align&SHINE is committed to protecting your privacy and complying with the Privacy Act 1988 and other applicable privacy laws and regulations.
What is personal information?
“Personal information” means any information or opinion, whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. In general terms, this includes information or an opinion that personally identifies you either directly (e.g. your name) or indirectly.
What personal information do we collect?
The personal information we collect about you depends on the nature of your dealings with us or what you choose to share with us.
The personal information we collect about you may include:
- your name and family members
- mailing or residential street address;
- email address;
- best contact phone number
- medical history and chiropractic treatment notes
- appointment times
- invoices and payment information. No credit card details or health fund information is held by Align&SHINE.
How do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information directly from you when you:
- interact with us online (eg booking online appointments)
- attend a Align&SHINE appointment (eg medical records, appointment notes);
- phone our booking team (eg to book an appointment or ask a question)
Collecting personal information from third parties
Align&SHINE does not collect personal information from third parties.
How do we use your personal information?
We use personal information for many purposes in connection with our functions and activities, including the following purposes:
- to structure a care plan and to notate assessments and treatments performed
- to be able to contact your other healthcare providers upon your request
- to send you sms and email booking confirmations and reminders
- to send you invoices
- to research your condition to aid in assessment and treatment.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
Align&SHINE will never use your personal information or disclose your personal information to third parties.
How do we protect your personal information?
Align&SHINE will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that we hold about you is kept confidential and secure, including by:
● taking measures to restrict access to only personnel who need that personal information to effectively provide services to you;
● having technological measures in place for logging in to our clinic software (eg two-factor authentication, safe password storage, anti-virus software)
We may send you direct communications and information about our clinic (such as days of closure due to illness, changing of appointments, booking confirmations, appointment reminders, schedules and invoices) or educational clinical aids that we consider may be of interest to you. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Australian Spam Act 2003. While we do not consider these messages as marketing, some people may consider it as so, which is why we acknowledge your consent to us sending you those direct marketing communications by any of those methods. If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so.
You may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us at any time by contacting us using the details set out in the “How to contact us” section below.
Retention of personal information
Align&SHINE will not keep your personal information for longer than we need to. In most cases, this means that we will only retain your personal information for 7 years after the duration of your relationship with us unless we are required to retain your personal information to comply with applicable laws, for example record-keeping obligations. This means child-patient’s records are kept for 7 years after they turn 18 years of age.
How to access and correct your personal information
Align&SHINE will endeavour to keep your personal information accurate, complete and up to date.
If you wish to make a request to correct or remove the personal information we hold about you, you should make a request by contacting us in writing and we will usually respond within 14 days. We will deal with such a request by following the procedure outlined below:
- email email@example.com and we will archive your patient information
- your records will be deleted 7 years after the date of your last appointment at Align&SHINE
- It is a requirement that Align&SHINE holds the personal and medical records of all patients treated at the facility. Should you wish no information is held about you by Align&SHINE there will be immediate cessation of treatments and the practitioner-patient relationship from the date of notification. Medicolegally the records will still be retained by Align&SHINE in an archived manner for the required 7 years that follow, at which time they will be deleted.
Links to third party sites
Align&SHINE website may contain links to websites operated by third parties. If you access a third party website through our website, personal information may be collected by that third party website. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party provider or website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third party provider or website. Third party providers / websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices and we encourage you to read their privacy policies.
Inquiries and complaints
For complaints about how Align&SHINE handles, processes or manages your personal information, please contact alignandshine.com.au. Note we may require proof of your identity and full details of your request before we can process your complaint.
Please allow up to 14 days for Align&SHINE to respond to your complaint. It will not always be possible to resolve a complaint to everyone’s satisfaction. If you are not satisfied with Align&SHINE’s response to a complaint, you have the right to contact the Office of Australian Information Commissioner (at www.oaic.gov.au/) to lodge a complaint.
How to contact us
If you have a question or concern in relation to our handling of your personal information or this Policy, you can contact us for assistance as follows:
Contact number: 0435 553 100
Post: PO Box 1140, STAFFORD QLD 4053