please phone us 9am-5:30pm weekdays to book in
COVID-19: visit FAQ section for more information of changes in clinic
Welcome to Our Clinic
Our principal Chiropractor, Dr Susan Walker, is renownd for being the first Australian female to obtain the position of Diplomate of the International College of Applied Kinesiology (DIBAK), for her work advancing Retained Neonatal Reflexes (RNR) Technique founded by Dr Keith Keen (Osteopath and Chiropractor) and for enhancing the lives of children with learning difficulty and developmental concerns.
Align & Shine – Chiropractic Healthy Centre is located in a small set of suburban shops and offices, known as the Ainsdale Street Shops. It is close to the Raven Street Reserve which has bushwalking and playgrounds. It is also only two streets away from the Rode Road/Appleby Road intersection. Rest assured our location is stroller friendly with fairly level access and on-street parking.
- to give out a bright light
- be very talented or perform very well
The human body is regulated by an electrical-based system called the nervous system. Chiropractors are skilled to work with problems in the nervous system. You may be familiar with terms like nerve pain, back pain, carpal tunnel, impingement, restless leg, tics, and headaches and all of these can be signs of dysfunction in the nervous system. Like how dimmers on a light switch can turn down the brightness or ramp up the light you see, Chiropractors work to shine light (or nerve conducted information) to areas that aren’t receiving the appropriate amount of brilliance. By enhancing how the nervous system functions, patients can experience improved body control and a greater sense of vitality, just like turning the dimmer back up for more brightness. Patients often report feeling brighter in both mood and mental function, and their body can feel lighter as muscle activation and co-ordination improves.
Chiropractors have been described as “neurosurgeons without a scalpel”. We are not medical specialists and we have no license to break the skin, but we are required to do a tremendous amount of Neurology, Anatomy, Biomechanics, Diagnostics, Pharmacocology, Radiology and Osteology study in our 5 years at University to obtain our degree and/or masters of Chiropractic. When this theoretical study is combined with years of fine-tuning our psychomotor skills of palpation and adjusting (rather than learning surgical skills), Chiropractic can be a sensible place to start when you experience body pain or dysfunction. Your Chiropractor will be able to determine if your pain or health concerns are likely to respond to our hands-on care and may recommend a trial course of treatments.
Meet Dr Susan Walker (Chiropractor)
Master of Chiropractic – Macquarie University
Diplomate of International Board of Applied Kinesiology (Antwerp, Belgium)
Since age eleven Susan knew she was destined to become a Chiropractor. Her sister had chipped her tailbone when pushed over at school and Chiropractic care had helped it mend correctly. Better still it allowed her to sit without pain and enabled her to focus again on her school work. It immediately made sense to Susan to put your hands on a body (often a missing step in modern day healthcare), and try to work out the problem before resorting to medication and other more costly, risky, and often preventable intervention.
At Uni she found she had a fascination with bones. She was able to easily convert all those facets that articulate with neighboring bones into the mechanical function of the human frame. Due to her high results in Osteology, Susan was invited to study Forensic Osteology where she did projects on skeletal remains found in unmarked burials and sorted bags of tiny human hand and foot bones from small bones of other animals. She graduated from University of Queensland with a Bachelor of Science and completed her Master of Chiropractic in 2002 at Macquarie University in Sydney Australia.
While Susan works with bodies of all ages with a wide range of presenting concerns, she is in her element when treating children with learning delays, behavioural problems and developmental concerns.
Along with Dr Keith Keen (Chiropractor), Susan has received worldwide interest in the RNR methods, a strong professional following, and a long list of happily thriving little patients.
Cash, EFTPOS, ApplePAY and Credit Card payments are accepted. Sorry we do not run accounts and will not accept payment from third party payers (eg insurance companies, Workcover, DVA).
We are not equipped with HICAPS however if your private health covers you for Chiropractic care you can submit your invoice to your fund via their app.
Stroller Friendly & Disabled Access
COVID-19: What precautions are you taking?
Patient care and safety will always come first.
As of 20 March 2020 these extra precautions are currently in place:
– Our door is always open! For improved fresh air and ventilation, the door at the entrance and the door to the treatment room will remain open. This will eliminate the need for concerns around touching door handles too.
– You’ll notice at the front door a Patient Alert chart signifying some of the known symptoms of COVID-19. Please DO NOT ENTER the clinic if you are experiencing any of these symptoms mentioned above.
– Social distancing – the waiting room can accomodate 3 people. Some chairs have been placed outside the clinic in the fresh air, and I ask that if you see someone in the waiting room, please wait outside until you’re asked to come in.
– Upon entering the clinic please use either the 60% alcohol hand sanitiser or the alcohol free hand sanitiser.
– In case they are needed for any reason, and for your convenience, disinfectant wipes are on the front desk hub for your use.
– For improved sanitation our toys and magazines have been removed for the time being.
– Before every patient receives treatment the Chiro Table is being washed down with hospital grade disinfectant and Dr Susan’s hands are being thoroughly cleaned.
– Apples have been swapped for peelable mandarins. Consider them a tasty treat and a Vitamin C boost.
– Antimicrobial essential oils* are being used 24/7 from two diffusers throughout the clinic.
– Importantly, if you should come down with COVID-19 and have had a Chiro treatment less than 24hours prior to coming down with symptoms, you must notify us asap via phone, sms or email.
As of June, 2020
– Susan will use an InfraRed thermometer and check you are not running a temperature.
– In the coming weeks, and in the absence of any symptoms, you will see Dr Susan wearing a mask*. I appreciate that some little children may find this confusing and may benefit from prior discussion with parents about why Dr Susan is covering her mouth. You may wish to explain that the mask may stop us from picking up a germ and putting it on our face which may then prevent us catching a bug and feeling sick.
* Please note: it is recognised that some of these measures are not recognised by W.H.O., or the Chiropractic regulations board, as requirements for clinicians who are not treating high-risk individuals, nor as defence against the COVID-19 virus.
What will it cost?
Initial consultation $160 allow 50-60 minutes
Standard return consultation $80 allow 15-20 minutes
Long return consultation $120 allow 30-40 minutes
Family sessions – $75 per session if 3 or more family members are booked together
Prepay 10 standard return sessions – $750 ($75 per session and can be used by anyone in your family)
Initially for most patient’s concerns, a trial course of 4-6 weekly appointments are recommended.
What are your operating hours?
Please phone 0435553100 for operating hours as these may change due to professional obligations.
How can I explain the first appointment to my Child?
“Your Chiropractor will test a whole bunch of your muscles to see how strong they are. They will be able to tell from your muscle strength how much information is getting from your brain and down your arm or leg to tell that muscle what to do. If the muscle is strong we know that the brain is getting the messages to that muscle, however if the muscle is weak, your Chiropractor will have to find where the blockage or problem is that is stopping the brain from telling it what to do.”
Our goal is to enhance the speed and function of each body. By doing so, movement becomes better co-ordinated and more efficient. Simply put, doing things gets easier. For kids, a more brilliant body translates to them having more fun with fewer frustrations.
What is Applied Kinesiology?
Is Applied Kinesiology Chiropractic safe for Children?
Do I need a referral?
What is your cancellation policy?
At Align & Shine we strive to keep everybody happy. We ask from you the courtesy of at least 4 hours notice for appointment rescheduling to enable us to appoint that time to someone else in need. Just about every day we have people on the waiting list eager for an appointment should a spot open up.
1st Missed Appointment – We Understand
2nd Missed Appointment – Please Bring Flowers, Wine or Chocolates
3rd Missed Appointment – Full Standard Consultation Fee Will Be Charged
4th Missed Appointment – No Further Appointments Will Be Made.
All new patients tick a box to agree to the terms of this cancellation policy when completing new patient history forms.
Are your services covered by our private health fund?
At Align & Shine we do NOT provide HICAPS for on the spot claiming. An electronic receipt will be issued to you to make online claiming that bit easier.